"Art does not reproduce the visible, it makes things visible in the first place."

Paul Klee, 1879-1940

Friday, April 16, 2010

A Wow! Friday Finish...

Well, ok, it's a WOW finish for me, anyway =-)

I have been digging myself out of the black hole of my sewing/throw-everything-in-there-when-company-or-a-holiday-comes room for a while now, but it has been a seemingly insurmountable task.  However, and this is HUGE, this week I have been able to organize and PUT AWAY all my yarn and (general, not quilting) sewing/knitting/crocheting books and pamphlets into ONE cabinet!  I made the decision that if the yarn didn't all fit into that cupboard then I had too much and some of it had to go.  I mean, really, no one needs more yarn than will fit in there!!  And it does, with a full shelf above it that holds art supplies.  And I can walk in the room--there is floor!!!--and I even sat down in the MIDDLE of it yesterday to go through a bin of fabric.  I was also able to bring in the bins of quilting fabric I put in the garage LAST April when company came and needed the guestroom closet.  That was where the bins used to be when that was the sewing room...they just never got moved over to the current room.  There is room for them in the closet in the current sewing room now because I have been weeding out and consolidating...a LOT.  All this organizing gives me such a good feeling!  I didn't know if I would be able to fit all the yarn and stuff into that cabinet so the fact that I haven't gone so far over the knitting deep end that I can is wonderful and I feel so much more in control of myself, at least in the yarn department, if nowhere else =-) 

So, here is my Friday Finish for this week.  My dad made the cabinet for my mom as a hutch for their kitchen a few years before he died.  I brought it home when we cleaned out my mom's house, not knowing what I would use it for but knowing I had to keep it because every time I look at it I can see my dad out in their garage working on it, and it really is a nice cabinet, and, well, it's hand made...I had to keep it...it makes me smile...  Now, instead of being a catch-all, it is a working part of my creative life and I love that I can feel my dad there with me...love it... Notice my mom's paper lace shelf edging...sweet and yellowed with age, but I just can't take it off...She's there with me, too...always...





There were some other things I was going to work on this week for my finishing projects...things that only needed a button or a seam or just a tweak, but this yarn cupboard organization took over and, really, is as good a finish for me as any of them could have been.  So, next week maybe they will get thier pictures taken...Or, if I keep on keepin' on, there may be pictures of other areas in the sewing room...I do intend to keep this up, this is only one small area...I really need my room back and a place where I can do the things I love to do.  It's time...far past time, actually...for that space to become my studio again and not the junk room...I mean, seriously!

Have a great weekend, kids!
xo, D.

4 comments:

jenclair said...

I know you must feel good to have things organized! Love the hutch, both for the personal meaning it holds for you and for such an attractive way to store your things.

Looking forward to more pictures!

Mary Ann said...

Awesome, Debby! Wonderful that you've found such a great use for your Dad's cabinet! Have a great weekend, too!

Debra Dixon said...

A great cupboard. I predict that when everything is in working order your mojo will be boundless!

Barbara C said...

It must feel great to get all your stash organized and stored in such a special piece of furniture. To me getting organized helps my creativity--I guess I'm easily distracted.

Good news about your DD's air travel plans. The volcano has disrupted so many people's lives.